Sustainable Development Initiative (SDI) Nepal was established in 2009. It is a non profit, nongovernmental organization that aims to provide technical support to the government, nongovernment and other philanthropic organizations working in the field of environment, education and sustainable development in Nepal.
Initiated by the Environment Education and Sustainable Development Program graduates of the Kathmandu University, SDI is committed for sustainable management of natural resources. At SDI we believe that natural resources can be best managed by blending scientific knowledge with traditional ecological knowledge. Recognizing the United Nations World Commission on Environment and Development theme of sustainable development as “development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs,” SDI intends to bridge spatial and temporal knowledge gaps through awareness, education and trainings and making the local communities stewards of their resources.
SDI’s mission is to serve as a liaison between local communities and government and nongovernmental organizations in implementing natural resource management programs. SDI supports development organizations’ multi-faceted contributions to communities in social, economic and environment sectors. SDI strives to develop and implement ingenious and spatially explicit solutions to protect diversity, develop climate change adaptation strategies and sustainable use of natural resource through community empowerment, gender equality and recognisition of traditional ecological knowledge.
Encouraging communities to actively participate in biodiversity conservation, , climate change adaptations, land use change impacts and watershed protection awareness programs.
- Conducting research to identify opportunities and challenges in providing formal, informal and vocational education for socio-economic development of poor and marginalized communities.
- Identifying eco-tourism hotspots to support local economy.
- Providing technical assistance for developing sustainable agriculture practices.
- Developing and implementing community development programs that empowers women, poor, marginalized and indigenous groups in resource utilization and management decision making.
- Identifying communities that are at higher risk in encountering natural calamities. .